Where to Access Help

What can you do in a crisis or emergency?


If you call during regular hours, and are in distress or crisis, you will be immediately connected with a clinical staff. This worker will provide support and help to determine if further services are required.

If you or your family are in a crisis or emergency situation, here is what you can do:

    • If someone is at risk of hurting themselves, you should call 911 for immediate assistance or take the person to the hospital emergency department.

    • If you are experiencing a mental health crisis and need some help you can call the Canadian Mental Health Association's Crisis Response Service at 807-346-8282 or toll free at 1- 888-269-3100 They have a 24 hour crisis hot line and 8 hour mobile response service (3 pm to 11 pm).

    • If you are a client, you can call your worker at the Centre; however, if your worker is not available, your call may be directed to another member of the Centre’s staff. Call 807-343-5000 and the receptionist will help you.

    • If you are worried about a child or have concerns that a child is being abused or neglected, you can call the Children’s Aid Society at 807-343-6100 or Dilico Anishinabek Family Care at 807-625-8511.


In partnership with Thunder Bay Counseling, our Walk-in Counselling Clinic is now available Wednesdays between 12pm and 6:30pm. Please call 807-700-0090 for more information or to access phone, video, and in-person counselling. Additional walk-in counselling clinics are available across the city. To view the calendar of services, please go to our Walk-In Counselling Clinic page. 

There are several other community services that are available to individuals and their families who are experiencing a crisis including:




Kids Help Phone

1-800- 668-6868 (24 hours)

Thunder Bay Child and Youth Services 24 Hour Crisis Hotline

807- 346-8282



  • You need someone to listen.

  • You feel you are in crisis.

  • You are thinking about suicide.

  • You are concerned about someone.


... and don't know what to do, call to talk to someone who can help. All calls are confidential. There's no such thing as a problem that's too big, too small, too unimportant, too serious, too embarrassing... too anything! No matter what your problem or question, we're here to help - you choose the way! You can either phone a counsellor directly or ask a counsellor online.


Thunder Bay Sexual Assault/Sexual Abuse Counselling and Crisis Centre (24 hours)

807- 344-4502

The agency provides:

  • 24 hour Crisis Intervention (telephone/mobile response 365 days/year).

  • Counselling (brief, short term and long term).

  • Client Advocacy: Information, accompaniment, and preparation through the criminal justice system, assistance with Criminal Injury Compensation claims, Victim Impact Statements



For residents of the townships of East/West Gorham (Lappe), Nolalu and Kaministiquia


  • Rural Ambulance: 1-877-351-2345

  • Rural Fires: 473-5200

  • Ontario Provincial Police: 1-888-310-1122